Frequently Asked Questions Following a Crash


Following an accident, your first priority should be to ensure your health and well-being. Examine for injuries, and even if they aren’t immediately visible, go to the doctor. Whiplash and herniated discs may be present but not immediately felt, especially if your body is experiencing a rush of adrenaline as a result of the accident.
After you have attended to your injuries, call 911 to report the accident to the police. Attempt to obtain photos of the accident’s circumstances as police, medical personnel, and roadside assistance arrive at the scene. Road conditions, traffic signs, and any vehicle damage should all be documented. In order to build a factual personal injury claim, it is critical to keep documentation of these factors.
After an accident, do not give a statement to the at-fault person’s insurance company. They might turn your words against you. Call a qualified attorney instead to discuss your options.


Normally, no. The Accident Report Privilege in Ontario states that “each crash report made by a person involved in a crash, and any statement made by such person to a law enforcement officer for the purpose of completing a crash report required by this section shall be without prejudice to the individual so reporting.” What you say to the cops should help them gather the facts of the case, not incriminate you.

In Ontario, how much can a person sue for a car accident?

In a lawsuit for negligence, which is distinct from an insurance claim for accident benefits, you may be able to sue for numerous categories of damages. These include income loss, care expenses, pain and suffering, and out-of-pocket costs. Civil cases in Canada are intended to be compensatory so as to restore the injured party to their pre-accident position, to the extent that compensation may achieve this, and not to produce a windfall. In general, the value of your claim is determined by the severity and nature of your injuries.
While there is no top limit on how much you can sue for in a car accident, there are minimum thresholds, deductibles, and restrictions on ‘pain and suffering’ damages. You can contact our Toronto automobile accident attorneys for additional information.
Minor injuries and property loss claims may not require you to file a lawsuit, as the insurance company may provide appropriate compensation. If the compensation is insufficient or if your injuries are severe, you will likely be required to file a car accident case.
Our Toronto personal injury attorneys will be able to evaluate your case and tell approximately how much you can anticipate to collect, as well as whether it is worthwhile to claim.